Monday, March 14, 2011

Blog 5


“I do not know why I am writing this letter, or what this letter is supposed to be about, but I am writing it nonetheless, because I love you very much and trust that you have some good purpose for having me write this letter. I hope that one day you will have the experience of doing something you do not understand for someone you love.”

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close had many great passages that stuck out, but this one really hit a homerun for me. I feel like the passage is trying to explain that although you may not understand something, you act on impulse and hope that it can be useful one day. I think it is a powerful passage and really shows you that love can be impulsive yet meaningful. Although Oskar may not understand why he is doing some things, maybe due to young age, maybe due to sheer confusion, they all serve meaning in the end. Other people may not understand why you are going through with some action, and I think that this passage also sheds light on doing things that are right to you and following through even if others don’t agree.

I chose this picture because it shows the word love written in several different languages. I thought this picture was perfect for describing this passage. Love is one of the most meaningful words known in this world. When written in your native language, this small word has huge meaning. However, when you see it another language, it’s meaning is disguised and you don’t understand what it says. In life, we may be loved on by others, but not even notice. It’s like Oskar is loving, but often in other languages to others, and maybe even himself, because they don’t understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment