Saturday, March 5, 2011

Extremely Lonely


“It made me start to wonder if there were other people so lonely so close. I thought about ‘Eleanor Rigby.’ It’s true. Where do they all come from? And where do they all belong?” (p163)

This is a picture of my friend Alex. Recently, he and I were in a discussion about reaching out to those who felt distant from the world. How would we be able to do it effectively? Both he and I constantly have that feeling of being in a room of crowded people, but still feeling utterly alone. Where do we belong in this world? I’m sure we all feel that way once in a while. We never know what we say and do can affect someone negatively in an emotional sense. I wonder how Eleanor Rigby feels!

In this picture, I feel like I have captured a sense of what Alex feels like when he feels alone. He says he tries to close his eyes and imagine a place where he feels better. Both he and I hide our emotions fairly well and do not care to have other people make us feel better. We feel like we can work out our emotions by ourselves.

Both he and I have plenty of friends. I makes you wonder how those with no one to run to feel. Is it worse to have many friends who you can’t talk to about your feelings or is it better to be lonely, hoping you’ll figure things out with or without help. Alex is a huge introvert. Though he is popular among his friends, he feels more at ease with himself when he is alone. I feel the same way. I love being by myself so I can collect my thoughts and work things out in my own mind. Ah, look at all those lonely people. Where do they all come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment