Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blog 3

Early Tuesday morning -

September 11.

Let the NYC job hunting begin.

Rain? No umbrella. Wet clothes for the interview.

Of course.

Off to Battery Park City apartments!

My lucky brother

and his attractive apartment.

Overlooking the Statue of Liberty

and

the World Trade Center.

Blinds open – sun shining bright.

What’s for breakfast?

Pick A Bagel! Only one block away

from

the World Trade Center.

About to leave.

ROAR!

BOOM!

What

was

that?

Breaking news on TV

No time

Need to get away!

Is that someone jumping

from

the World Trade Center?

Leave!

To the elevator!

Woman crying

Two others shocked.

Crowded.

Quick! To my brother’s office!

Woman on her cell.

“Joe! Joe! Call me!”

Was Joe

in

the World Trade Center?

A man jumping from the tower?

Black man calls out -

“Omigod! He jumped!

Peace my brother.”

I look down –

a pair of women’s shoes

left behind.

I listen to the President on the nearby TV.

Now the Pentagon!

The world was ending.

Wait!

Dad!

Business trip in Washington?

Is he ok?

Call Mom.

She has not heard from him.

Lobby fills with smoke.

“This is it.

This is the end of my life.”

Mouth full of grime tastes.

Black man

covered with gray ash

runs into our lobby.

Homeless.

Mom calls me back.

Dad is ok.

Is a man handing out flyers?

No.

Breathing masks.

Time to evacuate.

To Central Park!

Eyes stinging.

Lungs

tired of breathing

this toxic smoke.


-Megan Christy-

No comments:

Post a Comment