Thursday, February 10, 2011

Blog 4

Branden Stevens 2/11/2011

The poem I chose to analyze was Leah Kouchel’s her poem made me think a lot, and it was quite interesting. Most of the poems I read were eye witness accounts from the average American citizen’s eyes. The fact that Leah’s poem was from the eyes of a Muslim American citizen is what truly got my attention. People tend to forget that although our great nation known as America suffered dearly from the after math of 9/11 we also put a lot of innocent Muslim’s through pain and suffering as well. The moment 9/11 occurred people instantly looked for someone to point the finger of despair at as Leah acknowledged in her poem. Most American citizens don’t understand that the acts of one select group of people should never affect the overall outlook of a ethnicity as a whole. For example the columbine incident, those kids were a group of rogue misunderstood young Caucasian Americans who killed and hurt several people in a school shooting. However, we as Americans are not judged off of that select incident in our history so why is it fair for us to prosecute and exile another race for a similar incident, give or take clearly on a larger scale. Leah’s poem was also incredibly well written I liked her choice of vocabulary it made me visualize how things went for that particular person at that particular point in time. I also thought it was very interesting how she included dialog in her poem, most poems don’t include people talking. Over all as a whole I found Leah’s poem to be quite educating, and eye opening as well however I feel as if her ending was a little stale it left me wanting a tad bit more, but overall as a whole still and amazing poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment