Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog 3

The Capital of Our Nation


Thought it was going to be like any other day
My son watching his morning cartoons
September 11th, 2001
Tuesday
The tragic events
Fear and confusion
Asking questions
News reports
I watched it live, then the replays over and over again
I remember frantic calls to my wife
No contact for five hours
Are you all right?
Finally,
My wife called
She was on her way home
Seeing her
Safe and home
At last
All worry and fear left me
All officers were called to duty
She told me to be safe
The drive into work was surreal
No sound, no people on the streets
The Pentagon
Saw smoke rising
Thick burning smell filled the air
How bad will this get?
Groups of people gathered
Prayed
Lit candles
Crying
Two were shouting
About revenge and war
America disserving the attack
Du Pont Circle
Peace rally
In the distance
The Pentagon
Still burning
The smell filled my head, and soaked my clothes
14 hours
No matter the changes,
American would still be free

Lauren Epperson

http://911digitalarchive.org/parser.php?object_id=106

No comments:

Post a Comment