Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blog 4 Response to Poem: Dear Diana

I thought this poem was rather moving. I had never thought of what it would be like for an infant. They would not remember being there, but they were as much a part of history as any other human being on that dreadful day. I thought leaving “human history” by a line by itself was very effective. It definitely brought forward the idea that this was a wildly, life-changing event that would go down in human history for the rest of time. It was strange how the father knew what had happened as soon as he and his wife heard the “sonic boom.” I would not have known what to think. I would be more concerned about my life and the life of my family instead of wondering what had made that dreadful noise.

I like how “of the Trade Center” was left in a line by itself as well. I did the same thing in my poem to give it greater meaning. The line “And, it crossed my mind, my death” should have been broken up into smaller lines to give it a more dramatic feeling. Perhaps it could have been broken into a line for the mind and a line for the death. I love the “we prayed” lines. That is great repetition to get across the point of how they were concerned for those affected by this massive loss in our country. Over all, I loved the usage of the passage as a poetic letter to his baby girl. This would definitely be something that a grown-up Diana would cherish – the memory she would never remember, but would see through the eyes of her father.

-Megan Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment