Friday, February 11, 2011

reponse to Found Poem

The poem, “A Little Numb” really stuck out to me as I read it. I feel like this didn’t have to be just about someone who was trying to escape the towers before they collapsed. So many people felt the same way after the attacks, a little numb. Just after the attacks there were a lot of people that didn’t quite feel for anyone else around the world, just other Americans. A specific line that was repeated many times throughout this poem really stuck to me, “Keep moving.” In seems like the meaning of the term changes throughout the poem. At first it’s kind of like saying that you just have to keep moving forward so you can get through the day. It’s just another day and the more you keep moving the faster the day is over and you can go home. In fact everything just seems like a simple normal day until the planes hit and things change. After they hit “Keep Moving” doesn’t just mean keep moving to get through the day, it means to keep moving or you are going to die. I particularly liked the way that the poem was structured. It wasn’t one full sentence that just kept running on and it told the story in the form of what was going on in someone’s head as it was happening. Even the imagery stood out to me, it was a little disgusting and stomach turning when we see this squashed head with no body, but it makes it so much more real that way. She didn’t sugar coat it and try to make it seem like it wasn’t that bad. It was bad and it was horrific and she stuck to it. I liked the aspect of putting the time of day in there and I don’t know if it was intentional or not but there is no time from 8:44 till 3:08, it’s kind of as if time just disappeared as this great tragedy was happening. I felt as if time was the least important of all things going on at the time. Overall I think this poem was well put together, the story was well planned and the message was clear. Good Job

No comments:

Post a Comment