Friday, February 11, 2011

Blog 4 Response to Found Poems

Response to I fell Asleep with the TV on

The thing that I most liked about Lindsey’s poem is the fact that the poem achieves a dream like state. She really made the illusion that the event was unreal like when we have dreams. I have always felt that when hearing the news of September 11th that it was so surreal like the world of our dreams. Like many dreams they are non linear and never really seem to make sense. I felt like Lindsey did this in her poem because it covers the whole day of September 11th but only in moments that stand out in your mind. When I read the poem the first thing that comes to my mind is a person that’s world has just fallen down around because of this tragic event. I can only associate feeling and words such as these it have person ties, someone who worked near the site of the World Trade Center or possibly in the building itself. I draw this conclusion because the poem says “They came to my apartment…. My mother stayed with me… my jaw dropped”.

The poem also talks about how easily the pain can be felt when you are blindsided by a tragic event. In the poem there is a reference. I liked the reference to Pearl Harbor because it is only of the only previous national crisis’s that can come close to comparing to September 11th. It was another example of a direct attack on American soil that turned our world upside down. One of the similarities between Pearl Harbor and September 11th is that it put things in perspective for most Americans it brought things from the dream world to reality. As the poem says” we are all a little American… they also realized… they learned”. Both events reminded people things they had lost or let go of. It restored our American identity. It called the American people to think about what they really are and who they want to be. The only thing that I do not understand why does it always take a big climatic event to change? Why do not want to change before this point? What is the next event when we are going to go through this again? Everything is a cycle.

Lauren Epperson

No comments:

Post a Comment