Monday, February 7, 2011

Terror in NYC





On September the eleventh of 2001,

I thought nothing of our nation's safety,

Or of the hate that is projected towards us

By some countries of the world.

I woke up to walk my dog,

To take a shower,

And to trudge off to school,

Like so many other American teenagers.

At first I thought that there had been some sort of freak accident.

I was in relative bliss,

Tucked away in my corner of the world,

Taking my freedoms for granted

When my dad told me to come look at the television.

I felt vulnerable.

I didn't realize the magnitude of the impact:

The impact of that first plane that shattered the lives of so many,

And the psyches of so many more.

As we stood in the room trying

To comprehend what was going on,

The second plane collided with the other tower.

What was going on?

We listened to the radio on the drive to school.

In class, we were glued to the TV as well.

We saw the towers fall,

And the frantic people fleeing ground zero.

They reminded me of pictures of

Mount St. Helens with ash billowing

Down and filling the streets.

No one knew what to say.

Then I was scared.

The teachers were silent.

Nothing like this had ever happened before.

We heard that all of the airports were being closed,

The air force was taking over the skies,

The planes were hijacked, rescuers were going in....


No comments:

Post a Comment